DUKES, MARGATE. Finally open. The definition of Bohemian.

I first wrote this review back in January when I assumed that it was opening, and it would appear I was wrong so it would only be right to put the record straight. It is now August and for reasons unknown to myself it has only just announced its official opening!
So clearly things must have changed, so to play fair I have edited the review to remove any references which may not relate to now.. phew, now I have excised myself of blame or guilt, let's go!

I sit here (in January) taking stock of my first visit to DUKES, in old town Margate. Weirdly I have to start from a slightly strange position. It has nothing to do with DUKES as it is today by the way, just go with it.


Have you seen the Netflix series called The Watcher? It is an entertaining "who done it" thriller based around a mysterious group of people called "The Watchers" who held a fascination for an old house. The new occupants of the house started to receive letters, weird ones, but its all part of the mystery of the tale.

The White Rabbit can do anything in a literary sense, my reviews can be both revealing and provoking, I like to get under the skin, and for that I make no apology. 
This is one such itch that must be itched.

For my intro I have the urge to write my own letter very much in the Watcher style, I can't resist. 

Lets go down the rabbit hole....

When I first saw you I fell in love. Oh it was a while ago, you was something else back then but I was curious, I wanted to know why you was unloved. How could someone or something leave you like this? You are beautiful. You looked beaten and tired, hiding in the shadows. Oh how I wished I could of helped you, I wish I was able to rescue you. Was it COVID that did it? Was it the old town bubble which burst on your parade? Did your owners not treat you well? One thing for sure is that you deserve better. You deserve more, I hope you get new owners that believe as I do.
There really is gold at the end of the rainbow if you believe. I believe in you.

Now I have that off my chest, I will justify it by simply saying this, which I could of said in the beginning, but it isn't nearly as fun. I saw the place for sale, I was struck by the beauty of the building.

I wondered at its history, I even went as far to google it. It has the look of something that didn't know what it was anymore, it had lost its way. If I had the opportunity to take this on, I don't think I could have been swayed to look elsewhere. It is one of those places that should be something incredible.

Well time passed, as it does. I stopped checking in on the progress. I'm sure I saw mention to the name Hemingways? Sounded a bit pretentious, I shrugged and consigned it to memory. 

Now we fast forward a year or so...

"Where shall we go?" DUKES was the reply. Dukes I wondered, where is that? Around the corner from Wilde's... What if.... for I hadn't heard, and therefore not realized that DUKES was in fact my secret crush. 

We meandered around the streets of old town Margate which led us through the market square, past Wilde's and around the corner. There before me, like a beacon of joy and happiness was the most pleasant of sights, the grand, the beautiful DUKES. 

It once had the look of something that didn't know what it wanted to be, it had the gift but it didn't believe. Now here it is in all of its glory. 

Occupying a commanding corner plot, with a delightful curvature in its lines, it screams Victorian opulence. 
It has that iconic London tavern look, but here in little ol' Margate. 

The entrance is via some fine curved Victorian double doors that would be at home in the Harry Potter movies Diagon Alley. The sound of many voices of conversation and laughter can be heard as you approach, what lay beyond was a great and welcome surprise.

Stepping inside was nothing short of breathtaking. I had never stepped foot inside before, and so I was totally unprepared to see that the place was huge! Well huge might be a stretch, but this is definitely much deeper and wider than the frontage suggested.

Where do I start? At the beginning until I get to the end, and then stop! Off we go!

Firstly they have done an outstanding job on this place. 
The floor of all things catches you first, a gorgeous wood paneled and tiled pattern, I've not seen anything like it. 

The walls are a mix of wood paneling, a very Georgian style with dusky shades.

The lighting is low, candle lights on tables. They've got high tables, low tables, lounge chairs and a large chilled wine display cabinet showcasing it's wares. 


This place has intention. 

The mood is intoxicating, Bohemian. The music is a fusion of deep rolling melodic instrumental jazzy house and I heard some punchy French rap thrown in. Its got swag.

When we arrived almost all the tables were taken. We was greeted by the hostess who handed us some rather large menus. Double sided with delicious sounding cocktails and wines. 
Looking at the other tables it is clear where this place is pitching itself.

It is sophisticated, forthright, bold, proud.

I absolutely love it already.

I'm working out what this DUKE is.

Let's start by again from the moment you walk through the door. Better still look at this updated in August link where you get a complete walk through 

I mentioned the wine display counter. It is the most prominent thing as you walk in, but then boy o boy there is much more to take in!

I see a beautiful piano. Ah, please let it be more than an ornament, please let it's enchanting melodies dance through the air in the summer breeze and bring comfort in the winter fog. 
Margate has long forgotten such melodic sounds. 

Two words. Guy Ritchie. 

The fact we all thought it says it all. This is the sort of place that a Guy Ritchie film would be set. It just feels like you are in the movie, part of the crew. Edgy, Slick, Armani suit, Luis Vuitton, Bricktop. (Maybe not Bricktop)

It's a really sexy combination of grown-up and hip.

This is hitting vibes unseen before in Margate. It has the quality of the highest order and is super cool. I would happily sit here all day, in a tuxedo sipping Vodka Martini like James fucking Bond. 

This is it.


Their social media is still quite light with punchy pics, and seductive snaps. I am sure this year will see that right. What they lack in visual stimuli is compensated by a journey through a few pictures and some beautiful words. 


Here are some which I have cherry picked.

Where Duke Street meets Market Place is a picturesque slice of heaven and we are totally head over heels in love with our little corner of Margate's thriving and historic Old Town.

DUKES will be a bright destination for amazing food & drink, a break from reality. Come and re-nourish with fresh healthy food, curated cocktails, great wine, warm people, positive vibes and maybe have a little dance too. So...Please welcome DUKES with big open arms and kiss goodbye to Hemingways.

DUKES is more us, more fun, more camp, more accessible, less stuffy. DUKES will provide Margate with a new place to meet friends for drinks, a coffee, everyday lunches and special occasions alike. A home for great food, sexy drinks, banging choons and pure, unadulterated escapism!

Our sun trap terrace with summer grill will be opening soon along with the wine bar and canteen with a full indoor open kitchen, bar and restaurant to look forward to in the Autumn.

Excited is an understatement and we can't bloody wait to invite you lovely lot to pull up a day bed, grab a bite from the barbecue and soak up the summer vibes with us.


When I write my reviews I seek to answer the question why. Why are you here. Why should the customers come here and Why is what you bring important? And I try to show you, the reader, and indeed the owners, why.

I don't think I will ever read a more incredible why than this post below. It reminds me of the scene in Bohemian Rhapsody where Freddie describes the relevance of the song to the EMI executive played by Mike Myers, just before he storms out and smashes his window. Freddie would definitely approve:
The End.

DUKES (WEBSITE AND LINK NOT AVAILABLE)

1 Duke Street, Margate







Comments