TAP ROOM, CLIFTOVILLE. The tap end has never felt so good.

How had I never set foot in here before? 
As I left, I took a glance over my shoulder like you would if someone caught your eye you liked the look of, and secretly hoping they'd do they same. I love it!

I wasn't sure what to expect when I crossed the road, to walk through the doors for the first time. Bench tables outside with a couple of 30 something's girls sat outside stirring cocktails served in heavy glass tumblers. It's a good impression and that matters now doesn't it as places that sell alcohol were once typically frequented by young males in their packs, like hyenas they were to be wary of, mostly avoided.

Not so much of that nowadays, not around here anyway and that is both a sign of the times but also of how far we have come.

This is a micro pub in what would have been a quaint Victorian shop with a large canopy slapping in the breeze, keeping the sun from spoiling its wares. Now repurposed for the persuit of delight in human consumption, it enjoys a decent sized forecourt and as the name suggests is a vendor of ales.

This is one such place that has been on the peripheries of my radar, an occasional blip  reminding me to pay a visit but reminded of it only when I drive along Northdown road and it catches the corner of my eye because of the people that sit outside.
Come to think about it, I don't think I have ever been past when there hasn't been people outside.

The opportunity arose, and I don't need much persuading to smudge my nose on the window. I just had to have a look and see what aphrodisiac this place was pushing.

The bar greets you and what a proud thing it is, painted a dusky blue with foot rail and stools placed around which is a signal that this is a place you can feel welcome as this isn't just a servery, it is a hub for a community.

The beer font has a strong selection of curious and intriguing ales and lagers. I initially have the issue of working out what they are, but end up picking one at random.
As it is poured I am relieved that it looks like what I wanted, a cloudy IPA. I noted after a blackboard behind the bar with the beer tariff. Mine was just over a fiver and you know what, that's kind of good considering where we are at with prices now.

I take my pint to the window sitting on a stall and survey my surroundings. Bloody lovely it is too, the beer that is.


I don't know about you but I enjoy watching the likes of Rick Stein or Anthony Bourdain on TV travelling around showing you how different cultures do things, it makes you realise what you have been blinkered from, missed out on. I kind of feel like that here as it is really quite lovely in an unexpected way.

It is small but full of character which has been been thrust upon it, but very grateful we must be because it is a clearly executed with purpose and creative flair.

I am trying to recall my mental notes, there was so much to take in. The exposed brick wall which testifies its true age, the rustic wood panelling a call back to the memory of a pre war pub. Juxtaposed with illuminated art work on the wall with a Stags head mounted. To the rear appears to be a snug style room which looks great fun and intimate at the same time. Unsure whether the flickering wall lamp is a feature or if it was on the blink, literally, but the flicker only adds to the sultry ambience.


There is a traditional varnished bar top which is pleasantly reassuring for a choice.  A bar top can signify the true intentions of a bar. For me a natural wood bar top creates the kinsthetic subliminal connection with the relationship of the natural wood and grain which for thousands of years been an instinctive signature of quality and homeliness intertwined within your soul.

Behind it the bar tender is wearing britches with braces with a fine moustache. Such a bold look, indeed a statement, but you wouldn't have expected anything less here.

Picture: Not of aforementioned bar tender with moustache.

The ambiance is created by both the friendly chatter with music behind it at an agreeable volume but the choice of music is quite refreshing. I find it quite intoxicatingly dreamy and provocative. I listen to each song and it is clearly a play list or album compilation, I cant be sure, I would love to know so I could get it on my streaming service. My google assistant tells me one track was Bad Love by dehd, an American indie rock band. I had never heard it before, in fact I had never heard any of the tracks and maybe that is because I just don't move in the same circles, but that isn't to say I wouldn't want to. I would say it is an age thing but I feel at home here.

I nip to the toilet and the walls are adorned with flyers for upcoming music events in the local area, so clearly this is a music scene which I would assume is reciprocally supported. This makes me curious, I feel I need to experience this new world for myself.


In writing this I search for further references and I see live music and DJ sets feature heavily in The Tap Rooms weekly program and given what I've seen, tasted and heard so far, this has got to be the place to be.

Clearly I am thoroughly enjoying this place, and I am not alone as there is a constant flow of people through the door, happy faces with bubbly cheer, almost like seeing family at a special occasion it has that warmth about it. I think this place is really special.


I should just close it there. But I can't just write articles or reviews to say nice things, or give moody constructive feedback. Although I am delighted to say this is a cracking place, the bits I really like to explore is the question of how and why.

How is it this small shop unit set on a side street, in an area of town that isn't near the action of Margate is so obviously loved and busy? How audacious was that person that imagined a place like this can survive here and then created it. 
Okay it may have changed hands at some point but it was to people that adored it for what it always was and built upon that platform.
Why this place really hits the right notes with customers is because it attracts its target market and it has strategies to ensure they attract more of those people. This is achieved by everything from the decor, music, staff and events. It does not compromise, it knows what it is and by staying true to itself and by doing so it secures a customer base of genuinely lovely people who in turn attract more of the same. Let the good times roll!

I asked at the beginning what aphrodisiac they are pushing here, and it is a provocative word but I am satisfied that it is wonderfully appropriate when used to understand what this place is to so many people, which is a community, respect, family and indeed love. (And nice beer).

Pay a visit soon, you won't be disappointed.

Northdown Parade, 4 Prices Ave, Cliftonville, Margate CT9 2NR


Comments