SOUL CHEF KITCHEN at FIFTY2. SNEAK PEEK.

My ears pricked up at the news of @soulchefkitchen taking up residence at Margates iconic Sundeck serving up my favourite street food.


YESSSSS!

JERK CHICKEN AND PORK. Yuh dun nuh

So I literally exploded with excitement like a sexualy frustrated teenager leafing a copy of Vajazzle when I saw...


However this also gave me two cracks at the whip because it also meant I could get a peek inside @FIFTY2 which is a small looking indescript shop looking thing in Westbrook, a couple of doors down from Tesco extra.
I had heard it was a place that did food, but it really is anonymous from the kerb.

So this is mainly a review about the food, I will turn my attention to @FIFTY2 separately.
LETS GET IN ON!

First up, the food by Dexter @soulchefkitchen.

Ushering in the sunshine vibz is Dexter with the reveal of FIFTY2s garden. It's not really fair to call it a beer garden, that sounds a bit like patchy grass and wobbly sticky tables, kids tearing down fences while mum and dad with no teeth are having a midweek sesh. This is nothing like that, it's clean with quality garden furniture, fire pit and those sweet reggae sounds are smoothly dancing in the delisiosly scented BBQ air. This is like a Caribbean oasis.


Checking out the menu, it is all big bangs for your buck. Yeah the burger is £18.50 but that ain't no ordinary burger, that is a ribmageddon burger!

 
If it's good enough for Fred Flintstone... and man see the pic...whaaa...it's like eating a sledge hammer! 
But check it, average price is £13 for these plates of meaty jerkin orgasmatron. This is straight up street food, born from Jamaica, now made in Margate.

So I go for the pork. Yeah the chicken is the prodigal child but I want something a bit more meaty. Opening the carton is like opening Pandora's box, what's inside this box of legend and fable. It's stacked. It's colourful. It smells incredible. The Jerk is bold, thick, meaty, moist. It's so big I'm not sure I'm gunna be able to take it all in. Whilst that sounds intentionally like something else, it's actually true. The pork comes like huge wedges of blackened pork which breaks apart like pulled pork, but has the Jerk flavours which isn't just heat. It's a complex mix of layered flavours that combine to make your soul smile. Damn, add that with the salsa and slaw, and the seasoned fries and that is one plate of food you know you are always gonna get a throb on for.


Chicken lickin is a bit like going for the mild sauce at Nandos, just don't order it in front of your mates. But nah, I jest it is boneless chicken thighs, so the meat is firm but juicy with sweetness from the coconut and fragrance and heat from the ginger. Not jerk, but it is finger lickin good...(not like KFC, just saying)



I wish my picture would do the food more justice, you need to eat it to appreciate. Dexter is gonna be workin haaaard this summer smashing out his food to the Sundeck massive. Margate is going to be jammin to the soul food and sounds.

His residency begins 29th of April... CHECK IT OUT!

SUNDECK, MARGATE.




Comments