OLBLYS SOUL CAFE, MARGATE. They call themselves a creative hub, I think OLBLYS is the beating heart of Margate.

I've been to OLBLYS SOUL CAFE many times for an occasional drink and there is nothing bad I can say about it, which is a good thing isn't it? 
Don't worry, there isn't a "but" coming, but I will explore why I think it is so irresistible for so many.


OLBLYS (Let's stick with its abbreviation, less of a mouthful) has a pleasantly unassuming facade which could be mistaken for in part what it is, a very rustic, functional but pleasant little bar. What you won't probably realise is that it has a tardistuan basement which is a multi purpose and facetted creative hub areas including music studios, podcasting suite, creative spaces and lastly but not least a music venue with regular events and music artists. 

As if that's not enough, in the cafe bar they serve food, but so not to pop early I will come to that along the road.

I have now reviewed many of OLBLYS neighbours. Next door is BARNACLES which sits prominently on the corner basking in the sunshine. 
Please read the review, but ultimately it focuses on the fact that it is missing something.

Around the corner is a new bar called DUKES which I rather admired on my first visit, they have a piano which I delighted at the prospect of hearing melodic notes caught in the breeze of Margates old town again.
I was excited also to visit the recently reopened THE BULLS HEAD which can't be called a pub anymore as controversially it doesn't have a physical bar, but that's not to say it isn't rather good in its own right.

OLBLYS is in great company then, but with a growing community of places selling beer and food, you might be forgiven to assume that OLBLYS was now a back marker in this high octane hospitality hotspot.

OLBLYS is way out front. And now I get to tell you why.

OLBLYS dares to be different in all the be best ways.

I was enjoying a mid afternoon walk around the harbour arm last week, I stopped at Mannings seafood stall and my ears picked up the smooth sounds of reggae coming from across the road. Barnacles had a few random people sat on its benches basking in the sunshine, but the doors were closed, so it isn't coming from them. (I'm still standing by my assessment in my review that it is little more than a bus stop with booze) 

Next door is OLBLYS with its little tables and chairs on the pavement outside fully occupied even though they are in the shade. The large windows are open wide and it was from OLBLYS that the summer loving vibes were floating from.
Like bees to nectar or like the Pied Piper of Hamlin people are clearly powerless to resist. The senses are drawn in, intoxicating your soul with the irresistable urge to be part of it, to experience it, to love it. 

OLBLYS is a magnet for people who love to feel good.

It is starkly revealing that OLBLYS provides what so many places believe they have but fail to understand why they haven't. 

OLBLYS has a soul.
Not just by name, but by nature 


Not picking on BARNACLES intentionally but it proves my point I made in the review. I floated the idea that BARNACLES has an ideal opportunity to pitch itself as "the proper" Margate pub and sell itself on that, it's got the look but it's boring. 
What does that mean? Have you ever been to Temple Bar in Dublin? It is a district of pubs and restaurants in Ireland, with Irish music in the air it delights the senses. So just like OLBLYS, BARNACLES should open the doors, put a bit of Chas and Dave on or the sound track to The Jolly Boys Outing just loud enough for people outside to smile within their soul. Fill the air with good honest fun vibes and people will come. 
I realise this might repulse some people buy hey this is about playing to your strengths in the cut throat world of hospitality.
And I still haven't heard a note from that piano in DUKES yet either.

So is music the answer for every one? Maybe not, but personality is.

So back to OLBLYS. Now it has attracted people through its door, what else does it do? Well it serves food of course, but again we find further delightful options with a very original Carribbean twist.

I could disect the menu and talk about the virtues of having a well balanced but exciting selection of crowd pleasing bites, but you can satisfy your own mind on that point by clicking here. What I really want to tell you about is this:

OLBLYS is regarded as one of, if not the best place to get a Sunday lunch.

I've written a whole article on the psychology of the Sunday lunch and the virtues of, (of course I have!) Read that after.

OLBLYS delivers delight in buckets and spades. Famous not only for a generously proportioned meal, it adds a subtle Carribbean twist here and there which elevates the meal and puts it in a league of its own. Booking is essential.
Do you see what I mean? But here's the thing that delights me, and something that I respect them for. They've priced it to please the people.

Don't get me started. Read my article to get the full can of worms but when you have pubs and restaurants selling a Sunday lunch over £15...£20...£25 plus within a 2 minute walking distance of here, you've got to realise the question. Why pay more?

So, BIG UP! OLBLYS! 

OLBLYS demonstrates the importance of making sure that every aspect of your business is made to be the best it can be.

ELI THOMPSON is the man responsible and alongside is HEATHER THOMPSON. They opened in 2001 and set about creating something that adds to the community. Read about them here 
They are supported by an equally invested team which feels more like a family.

I think I'm in love with OLBLYS.


It doesn't end there because OLBLYS is more than a one trick pony. There is a packed schedule of entertainment, see what's on here  or look at their 
Facebook page OLBLYS CREATIVE HUB

OLBLYS, MARGATE 

3-5 King St, Margate CT9 1DD


 

Comments