JAH JAH, RAMSGATE. I wanted to say lovely things, but I want more. RISE UP!

I had not walked along my home town of Ramsgates high street for a long time, so long ago that I had not witnessed first hand the change of landscape. Banks are all but gone, high street names erased from their mounts, replaced with To-Let and For-Sale banners, windows and doorways boarded up. 

I'm getting to the review but it is important to understand the battle ground we find ourselves in. However this isn't a melancholy tale or excuse to talk of the good old days because despite the gloom there is reason for hope as Ramsgate retains its vibrancy in identity and hospitality culture which continues to present welcome opportunity for life-giving small businesses who by themselves are providing the green shoots of hope for a new chapter for Ramsgate.

Harbour street in Ramsgate is where you will find the highest concentration of new food led businesses. It is the pedestrianised link road which runs from the harbour to the town centre. Consisting of only small and medium sized shops within quaint Victorian and Georgian buildings it now performs as a natural breeding ground for small independent businesses to launch and grow. 

This where we find JAH JAH! A Caribbean cuisine restaurant which opened in 2022 and has been getting some 5 star reviews. 

It has been on my hit list for a while.

Jerk is my new thing. I set upon this quest of finding the best Jerk food when I first tasted the true flavour of the Caribbean from a street food vendor called Nattys Jerk in Portsmouth. Before that I had only tried my own concoction made with a few bits and bobs from my virtuous display of dried herb jars to recreate a Tik Tok video, but with barely any of the required elements and supplemented by a slug of Reggae Reggae sauce (because why not!) I went hard with the scotch bonnet which achieved only regret and fear with thoughts of where are the wet wipes for the morning with every flinching bite. 

Once I had tasted the real thing I realised how foolish I had been to entertain the thought that what I had created was Jerk and became obsessed with finding the holy grail of Jerk food locally. 

I had tried Mullins, a Caribbean restaurant in Margate a couple of years ago which was championed as an experience of the highest order, and that was so disappointing and although I hadn't woken my literary assassin guise as The White Rabbit back then, the experience inspired me to switch on my critical synaptic W.T.F. 

I can't say whether it has upped its game recently as I've never been back but I just remember it being very lazy and bland experience, and those are two words that should never go together with Caribbean cuisine.

Then this year I saw a pop-up kitchen @SoulChefkitchen advertised close to where I now live within a little cafe with a gorgeous garden (check that here). An internet search showed me how it was cooking up a feast of insanely inspiring food on a proper BBQ drum, low and slow. I was compelled to shift heaven and earth to get there. I reviewed it here, and it was outstanding. Being a pop-up you have to know where he's going to be so follow his socials, but the Jerk pork is BANG-INGGGG so he became my man to beat.

JAH JAH! in Margate was on my hit list, I see it most days in passing, its mentally loud kerb appeal taunts me in a good way, it calls to me, but never had the opportunity to check it out. My ears would prick up with envy when I heard people saying how good it is. It would only be a matter of time I assured myself.

But here in Ramsgate is JAH JAHs original restaurant and when our meander around the graveyard of the fallen high street giants turned to a conversation of food there was only going to be one place that was getting the nod.

I will add, there is lots of choice of places to eat here in Harbour Street, and work underway for a few more so competition is hotting up! So even more the reason to see what is going on here, and what they are doing to stay ahead of the game.

Let's go! Full disclosure, we didn't eat a whole range of foods to experience everything, we wanted a quick light bite only, but I  experienced enough to provide meaningful content.

As I wrote this review it naturally went down the line of a business model critique more than a restaurant food review so if you still like that kind of flavour, I've got the hot sauce! Here it comes!


This is Sunday afternoon, people are filling the pedestrianised street passing by, and I became one of them as I walked straight past it. Fair to say then, it didn't grab my attention from the street in quite the same way as its Margate cousin does, but hey stand back and admire the colours of Jamaica. Quality job noted.

Inside we find we were the only customers which surprised me given it was about 3pm on a Sunday, but I reminded myself of the times we live in where disposable income is scarce.... However there are other neighbouring places which are much busier I notice.

The waitress was smiley and welcoming which is exactly what you want to see when you walk in for the first time. She commanded my first impression which was outstanding which is often half the battle. Good attentive service with a personal pride in their work is a rare commodity nowadays and she certainly has the gift.

For the purpose of grazing and simplicity all we wanted was to try the Jerk chicken wings, and why not wash it down with some crisp cold Red Stripe. When in Rome.

Chilled tumbler glasses are a neat touch, sadly not filled with Disaronno on this occasion.

Jerk wings sold in portions of 8, or should I say pieces of 8 and play on the pirate of the Caribbean stereotype? Nah lets keep this sensible. Either way we we had 2 portions, and at £24 that seemed steep for wings but nothing is as cheap as it was, go on then, there are 3 of us.

The wait provides an opportunity to check everything out. I find myself admiring the use of materials to create the feel of a shanty town vibe with its corrugated tin roof panels and drift wood styling, and of course the obligatory reggae music playing softly in the background. But possibly too softly? There's a fine balance in creating an atmosphere and missing the mark and I think they could have done with turning it up a tad to stir it up. Bob Marley reference right there.

Possibly crank it up a bit and either jar the door open or get an inoffensive little speaker outside so people from the street get alerted to the Caribbean culture which is all about stimulating the soul with the sight, smells and the sound of the Caribbean sunshine vibe. 


The servery is to the rear with an open plan kitchen. Real effort and intention has been used here. Clearly it operates a take away service as a courier came in with the tell tale insulated bag. Absolutely essential to have your food flying out of the kitchen any way you can. I wrote a review of  the Polish Bistro that was opposite back in January and I made mention to the importance of getting people flocking to your door all year around and food flying out of it or you might as well hand the keys back now and save the heartache. Sadly 6 months later that place closed. 

But what a nice place to come and hang out, there is nothing that I could spot which was questionable, it feels a very friendly space. A couple of females came in and took a seat and appeared very content and relaxed. Just needs more people like that to try.


Our food came. Like a dog waiting at the window for its master, our heads swivelled 360 degrees as we watched it from the kitchen to our table. Then I can only liken our actions to the game Hungry Hippos as we dived in... but man these were nuclear hot, were they microwaved? I can't be sure but the temperature was probably a good thing as it slowed us down.

I will be brutally honest and say I was initially disappointed to see that these wings were very small, but they were plentiful for us and what we wanted so I overlooked it at this point. The taste however is on point, there is heat but not too much. Smokey spice and agreeable herbal notes and a generous amount of sauce, you definitely want the rice or chips to make the most of the sauce..

Complimentary sauce is provided on the table which is a quality touch, not a cheap condiment I would venture.. my brain never really switches off from costing food and it is internally telling my ravenous guest to calm down patting it on his plate! 

But a serious spice kick and freshness in a bottle, the napkins were welcome absorbent to a sweaty forehead.


The hot sauce gives an additional kick which might just catch you out!

So I am building up to something, which is the itch I've got to relieve. At this point I need to have a look and see what else they do and how they do it... So to Google I go..

Okay back in the room and it's kind of as I thought. I've looked at a variety of reviews and compliments to the waitress are well documented, so I was right to point that out early doors. Service is a hugely under regarded job by people who actually do it, finding outstanding staff is often the difference in a market of fine margins.

Food reviews are on the whole complimentary, yes there are some less so, but you will never please everyone, there is nothing as queer as folk my Nan would say.

I didn't see descriptors or phrases that are used when people try something unbelievable. I saw words like lovely, delicious, fantastic and in any other period in history such words would be a comfort to the owners, and yes they still are but I wonder if it is enough.

Take our wings. We kind of got chicken wings, or bits of them at least but it lacked any kind of wow other than the one you expected at the very least which was simply decent jerk flavour. So at its very best it managed to tick a box, but it wasn't next level.

I look at Google images and I see some reasonably professional pictures but the plates of food are a bit predictable. I'm not seeing innovation or flair. I am not feeling the soul.

I found this wonderful descriptor for the concept of Jerk food:

Caribbean Barbecue Is Forged in Fire, Spice, Fruit, Acid, and Heat
The roots and evolution of this culinary tradition are celebrated over wisps of smoke and hours by the fire. 
I'm not getting that kind of experience at all.

Imagine this for me. The food equivalent of the infamous hook up dating site Tinder. I am told you swipe left for no, and right for yes when presented with pictures of your potential new fantasy. These pictures are supposed to be representative, but alluring, attractive, enticing. So it is with that model I want you to entertain the final section of my critique by playing swipe (pretend to as you can't swipe) what image you like on these customer posted images. 

This is a picture from Rudies which is a Jerk Shack in London


And this is  JAH JAHS

Lets give JAH JAHS another crack at getting swipe right with this one from a journalist that said nice things recently

I am playing fair here. I know it isn't strictly fair to compare different dishes as they are clearly all different elements but the point of the comparison is the essence of the dishes and the gulf between them. It is this huge gulf which is the difference between success and failure.

The challenge for JAH JAHS in my humble and likely unwanted opinion is that they rethink everything they do with the absolute foundation and motivating force of making every single plate an Instagram-able piece of art that tastes every bit as good as it looks. Don't just lift the dishes, you have to rise up!

Here's a gentle nudge in the right direction to fill your empty seats on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

Full size wings! I mean they are wings after-all, not Tweetie pies love muscle. (Showing my age there)

Even simple chicken wings need to be served up with extra touches, you have always got to take the appreciation scale from a 6 to a perfect 10.

Think BIG! Diners demand a challenge. They need a reason. They are drawn by the idea that what they are about to receive is an earth shattering orgasm. Give them the future.

Next chance to swipe is for a choice of Burgers. How would you swipe?

Or this?

I feel bad about this. I really do. I can see the passion and dedication to quality that they have put into creating this restaurant and my conscious would not be clear if I wasn't honest and say we enjoyed our Jerk wings, but from what I've seen it is arguably clear that someone has to take a leap of faith and with JAH in your soul I am sure you will agree.

It wasn't hard to think of a closing line as the musical genius and prodigal child of Jamaica always provides. The line from Bob Marley's Redemption Song which says:

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
None but ourselves can free our mind.

Free your mind JAH JAH. Big up your chest and rise up!

11 Harbour Street, Ramsgate.

P.S. Why on earth on your homepage of your website is the main picture of the front of the restaurant with a car parked outside! C'mon, you are no eediat!






Comments